The Next Portal Dragon Game No ratings yet.

Home Forums General Discussion The Next Portal Dragon Game

This topic contains 27 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Swordai Swordai

Badge icon "Approve (330)" provided by The Noun Project under Creative Commons - Attribution (CC BY 3.0)
Badge icon "Approve (330)" provided by The Noun Project under Creative Commons - Attribution (CC BY 3.0)
1 year ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Keymaster

Is anyone familiar with Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight archives? Also how about retro video games?

Profile photo of Swordai
      Swordai
      Participant

I played allot of video games… I liked Rpg games mostly.
        So many awesome games and playtroughs i had xp

which video games u thinking about?

But the book series i haven’t even heard of im afraid

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Swordai Swordai.

U never know until u try!

Profile photo of Pwyll Dementia
        Pwyll Dementia
        Participant

How far retro? You are not planing a Pong based game are you? Is it a red dot shooting blue squares at red triangles? Great now I’m seeing a 4v1 Pac-man, not entertaining. Or a dice game based on duck hunt.
          8-bit is making a comeback. I as well am a rpg fan (Turn base, none of the new live action crap. I’m looking at you FF 11, 13)
          An 8-bit side scroller, could work one weapon at a tome add to base hit. flip over enemy fight it to proceed.
          or an 8-bit fighting game, you would want to be able to link the actions for combo moves. but at the same time have blocks that opponents can link in to break combos and counter attack.

I’m tinkering with a 8-bit dungeon delve deck build.kinda a mix of zephyr and Battle for Greyport (disappointed with some of the ideas. Figured I could do better.)
          Unless your asking our thoughts on retro vid games, I’m all about the story,. Graphics come second

Profile photo of Jon
          Jon
          Keymaster

An 8-bit side scroller actually is something we are toying with. What about a 2 player sword dueling game, or a time and dimensional rift defender persistent dungeon crawlerish game

Profile photo of Tony Graham
            Tony Graham
            Participant

I love dungeon crawlers with a twist! That would be cool! The 2 player sword dueling is something I have thought about. Making a game fighting or battling game that is more about tactical decisions and positioning and a little less about dice chucking. Of course dice chucking is still involved as you parry, use a shield to block or reach for some items in your storage pouch. Different swords paired with different characters yield different effects. You could have a slow non maneuverable brute against a fast moving little dagger wielding runt. As long as he stayed out of the brute’s heavy attack zone he could survive and keep attacking with quick low damage jabs. One wrong move….death…I just wasn’t sure how the players could get the items. Points based like X-wing. You get more “gold” to spend on items if you win a duel. Or is there a quick exploration phase where you gather loot then battle. So many possibilities on that one.

Pwyll Dementia
              Participant

For the 2 player sword fighting game what format; deck building, card draft, etc? You could do a deck/ dice mix where the dice have swords and shields in it, and they act as “mana”(m:tg) to play cards. (kinda like Cookie fu)
                I think I saw a side scroller on kick starter, not sure if it did any good or was good.
                The time and space game could be a tile board game. Would we play as peace keepers?
                They all sound interesting.
                I do apologize if I am foisting ideas on you good sirs, I am an idea bank.

Profile photo of Jon
                Jon
                Keymaster

The dueling game we are thinking a living card game to give the deck building without requiring the financial commitment. We are thinking of stances that would show your opponent what you may be capable of and you must sacrifice during a phase to alter your stance. Like you said you could be light vs heavy, but you could change for a price that would make you more vulnerable. This one is very much a strategy game.

The time/space crawler is sort of a inter dimensional police, or will grow to that. the first “set” is scenarios defending a non technological time period from portals that open and release enemies and trying to stop more from opening and close the currently open ones. In expansions or something your characters would be recruited to join forces with heros from other times or dimensions to police these portals and save the innocent while collecting loot and upgrading your character in a persistent semi rpg board game designed to present the experience of a full pen and paper rpg in an elegant package for lighter gamers. Not new or light gamers but those who want something deep but not overwhelming.

Pwyll Dementia
                  Participant

A few questions.

Would the style change be like changing from tiger style (a heavy punch) to Capoeira (good at kicking)?
                    (I had that, but going dominion made buying moves complicated, still haven’t figured it out. Want to link moves and use moves to but better moves.)

I’m digging the time and space idea. Any idea on how loot or upgrades will work?

Profile photo of Swordai
                    Swordai
                    Participant

im throwing in a brand new idea in this discussion:

How about… Evil dragons invading the realm trough the use of portals…

Profile photo of Jon
                      Jon
                      Keymaster

How about… Evil dragons invading the realm trough the use of portals…

Like “Portal Dragons”? 🙂

Profile photo of Swordai
                        Swordai
                        Participant

aje great idea Jon :p

Profile photo of Jon
                          Jon
                          Keymaster

I had an idea for a self-titled game where it was basically a 2 player game of snake with a vertical board that has portals to the other side picture connect four with retractable strings that can attach to square or travel trough to the other side.

Profile photo of Swordai
                            Swordai
                            Participant

lol sounds fun. i used to play snake allot on the cell phone when i was bored on the train to school :p

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.